using the arrow buttons.
by clicking on the page.
the page around when zoomed in by dragging it.
the zoom using the slider when zoomed-in.
by clicking on the zoomed-in page.
by entering text in the search field, and select "This Issue" or "All Issues"
by clicking on thumbnails to select pages, and then press the print button.
displays sections with thumbnails and descriptions.
displays a slider of thumbnails. Click on a page to jump.
allows you to browse the full archive.
about your subscription?
Lions Roar : July 2015
Matthieu Ricard continued from page 43 of movements of cooperation joining together large numbers of people who are geographically scattered.” IN MANY AID ORGANIZATIONS, people start with the good intention to relieve suffering, then they fall prey to human shortcomings, clashes of egos, and—worse—corruption. The humanitarian aid is derailed, ending up in someone’s pocket or simply lost in bureaucratic chaos. “The UN considers it a success if 50 percent of an NGO’s funds reaches the people it should,” says Ricard. But in the case of Karuna-Shechen, 98 percent of their funds reach their goal; only the remaining 2 percent is used to cover overhead. “I attribute this,” Ricard continues, “to the fact that we at Karuna-Shechen all share the same vision, the same kind of training and dedication.” Karuna-Shechen recently offered three different vocational training workshops to women in India. The women were taught how to make candles and incense sticks, as well as two types of snacks. The most promising students were given further train- ing and then, to get them off on the right foot, they were set up with a temporary candle-production unit. The women now work from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. six days a week and produce 150 candles a day in different colors and shapes—green Christmas trees, pink hearts, traditional Indian figurines. They receive the profits from selling their wares at local markets, plus they’re paid an apprentice salary and their food and transportation costs are covered. Rinku is one of the women now making candles. “Learn- ing this new craft will not only help me start my own business, it will also improve my family’s living conditions by adding income to our household,” she says. “I will use part of the money to help pay for my siblings’ education.” The women are proud to have been selected out of all of those who participated in the initial training session, because knowing how to make and sell wares can be the difference between having and not having a decent life. Employment opportunities for rural women are few, and what is available is usually backbreaking work, such as carrying bricks or spending long hours in fields under the pounding Indian sun. With more concern for others, Ricard writes in Altruism, “ We will all act with the view of remedying injustice, discrimination, and poverty.” Furthermore, he says, “if we care about the fate of future generations, we will not blindly sacrifice their well-being to our ephemeral interests, leaving only a polluted, impov- erished planet to those who come after us. We would on the contrary try to promote a caring economy that would enhance reciprocal trust, and would respect the interests of others.” While Matthieu Ricard is a champion of altruism and com- passion, he is also blunt. He wants us to cultivate benevolence. Then he wants us to do more. “If compassion without wisdom is blind,” he says, “compassion without action is hypocritical.” ♦ village zendo A Zen Temple in the Heart of Manhattan Daily Meditation, Workshops and Retreats Abbot Roshi Enkyo O’Hara 588 Broadway, Suite 1108 New York City For more information, please visit www.villagezendo.org SHAMBHALA SUN JULY 2015 80